When I look back at my past relationships, part of the reason they didn't work is because I overlooked things I shouldn't have.
I overlooked them for a variety of reasons: I was in love with the guy's potential, but not who he was at that moment; he had everything going for him except for a few major flaws; I just really wanted it to work out and felt that if I just worked hard, it would be okay; I was afraid to be alone; or I was too insecure to speak up and risk the person rejecting me.
So, this is my list of deal breakers, based on former dates and relationships. Never again.
- Alcoholics, chain-smokers, and/or potheads.
- The dude who's slept around who has never been tested for STDs because he's scared of needles.
- The dude who's slept around who begs you to have sex with him without a condom, even though he's never been tested for STDs because he's scared of needles, and who has obviously had a lot of sex without condoms because he doesn't carry them or have any in his house.
- The dude with more baggage than you who hasn't gone to therapy or dealt with it in any real way.
- The workaholic who has no time for you.
- The dude who has his whole future planned out to the minute detail and just wants to slot a woman into the role he's created for her.
- The dude who uses judgment and manipulation to control you.
- The dude who is still in love with his ex.
- The dumb guy, but at least he's cute.
- The dude who dumps you when he finds out you have problems with depression.
- Guys who put sports before your relationship.
- Clingy guys.
- Dudes who don't get your sense of humour, and/or don't have good ones of their own.
- The dude who isn't over his divorce.
- The dude who still fights with his ex.
- The dude who hates his ex and can't let the past go.
- The dude who hates his ex, who is the mother of his child/ren.
- The depressed guy who won't get help.
- The guy who can't hold down a job and isn't really trying.
- The overly religious guy who keeps trying to get you to come to his house to watch and discuss religious videos with him and his friends.